So you are looking to build a site or you have site but are unhappy with your current website host. So what is a small business owner suppose to do? Here are some very simple tips to make sure you end up with a host that you can rely on:
- Ask for Client References and Call Them.
- Don’t Always Go for the Lowest Price! You are projecting an image here with your core audience and you don’t want your site down every few hours.
- If they are local, ask for a face-to-face meeting where possible or at least a phone call. You want to make sure that you will be comfortable giving your business to the right website hosting company.
- While speaking with the web hosting company see if they can help you meet your goals. For example, if you are selling goods do they support e-commerce sites. Again ask for references.
- Don’t worry too much about the details but ask what you will getting:
- Will your site be on a shared server with many other sites?
- How much space will be allocated to your site?
- How much bandwidth?
- What are the charges if you go over your space or bandwidth allocations?
Remember you are looking for a company where you can feel comfortable and trust since it will be hard for you to learn all the particulars of how to maintain and work with a web server.
Sunday, March 2nd, 2008